For any government entity, the importance of having an industry leading Privileged Access Management (PAM) is foundational to the adoption a zero trust architecture.
There are number of business benefits when adopting the Cloud but in an era when the Privileged user attack surface has never been larger, the use of a market leading PAM solution is important to secure Government services, both State and Local, whilst providing the seamless user experience that departments have come to expect.
In this blog, we have detailed three business drivers that all Government department or agencies should focus on as it relates to their PAM strategy. In this blog, we focus on the market leader in this category, CyberArk.
#1 - Strong Privileged Access Protection
The CyberArk Privileged Access Security Solution enables the ability to protect all information under an agency’s stewardship across complex networks, allowing you to deliver secure and consistent public services.
- End-to-end protection of all privileged accounts with access to data, infrastructure and assets across the enterprise, in the cloud, on endpoints and throughout the DevOps pipeline.
- Control, manage and audit non-human privileged access for applications: commercial off-the-shelf applications and those developed in-house, including using DevOps tools and methodologies.
- Enable secure remote vendor access to the most sensitive IT assets protected by CyberArk – without the need for VPNs, agents or passwords.
- Full lifecycle management of passwords, SSH keys and credentials across the enterprise, in cloud applications, and on endpoints regardless of whether they are used by interactive users (employees, contractors or vendors) or applications.
- Detection and protection for 1,000,000+ malware variants and advanced attacks on the endpoint (including ransomware) with out of the box, comprehensive privileged security policy control.
- Mapping between suspicious privileged access activities and corresponding session recordings. If something malicious occurs, e.g. compromised critical credentials, the session is suspended until reviewed for release or terminated.
- Hardened for deployments across the enterprise and in the cloud, with multiple layers of built-in security for authentication, access control, encryption, tamper-proof storage, and data protection.
#2 - Showcase Compliance More Easily
To demonstrate compliance, including effective breach notification when necessary, state and local agencies should have documented, auditable proof of their efforts to protect privileged access. With the CyberArk Privileged Access Security Solution you can help meet your compliance requirements and reduce your security risk without introducing additional operational complexity.
- Comprehensive monitoring, recording, and isolation of all privileged user sessions, and activity on critical PII database or application, e.g. cloud-based applications.
- Streamline audit reviews with automated risk indexing; whereby a “risk score” is assigned to each privileged session when pre-defined high-risk commands or activities are executed.
- Enforce role-based access controls, require users to “check out” credentials, generate full and detailed reporting and demonstrate compliance with an audit trail.
- Audit records for all privileged access activities, with personal accountability for any access or usage of shared privileged accounts, encrypted and stored in centralized vault with multiple layers of security. Fully searchable audit logs (including meta-data) and DVR-style recordings of all privileged user session activities including for contractors and
#3 -Future-Proofing Privileged Access Security
As state and local agencies continue to expand and evolve their operating infrastructures, CyberArk’s Privileged Access Security Solution protects all privileged access to data, whether new infrastructure and applications across the enterprise, in the cloud, on endpoints and throughout the DevOps pipeline. The CyberArk solution comes with built in APIs for hundreds of 3rd party solutions (C3), from multi-factor authentication (MFA) to single sign-on (SSO) solutions, to enable full task automation and enhanced functionality. The best way to keep up with constantly evolving threats choosing a solution with an established, time-tested track record of excellence backed by a clear, well-funded roadmap.
- A comprehensive solution that’s extensible and enables interoperability:
- All functionality is built to share common resources and a common UI organically designed to work well together including credential management and security, session monitoring, isolation and threat analytics from one platform.
- Component-based architecture is simple to deploy and maintain and can easily scale to accommodate the most complex enterprise deployments, including multiple network segments across multiple sites of public service, with full support for high availability and disaster recovery (HA/DR) configurations.
- Time-tested and proven market leader:
- 5300+ customers globally, including 35% of the Global 2000.
- Nearly 20 years of experience and a strategic focus on privilege protection with 200+ dedicated R&D engineers dedicated to innovation.
- Consistently rated as a leader by industry analysts such as Gartner, Forrester, IDC, and KuppingerCole.
CyberArk has teamed with the world’s leading technology providers to create the industry’s only Privileged Access Management Marketplace with hundreds of certified, hardened joint solutions and plug-ins. The CyberArk C3 Alliance of 130+ partners is committed to integrating the best of breed solutions, from Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) to Single Sign-On (SSO), to enhance customers’ overall security posture, reduce risk, and realise faster time to value.
Conclusion: CyberArk for Government
In short, CyberArk plays a pivotal role in securing Government based departments and agencies across Australia. Additional security and seamless access is more important than ever. The use of the CyberArk SaaS portfolio, integrated with complementary solutions can make things a lot faster, less risky, and much more secure for your Government entity - when implemented properly. For more information on Zero Trust, visit our Services page.