With digital transformation a growing priority for organisations globally, more enterprises are moving to cloud-based human capital management (HCM) platforms like Workday to handle their HR and financial data.
Such a large-scale transition from on-premises HR information management to cloud-first systems comes the need for an equally comprehensive identity management solution that is HR centric in its approach to user provisioning - across onboarding, off-boarding and other changes.
At present, Workday has a pre-built integration option with Azure Active Directory (AD) that simplifies this entire lifecycle for businesses searching for greater control over security and identity, as well as a fully automated user account provisioning and deprovisioning process.
The current workforce identity and user provisioning lifecycle
One of the essential parts of an accurate user provisioning process and effective enterprise identity management is the proper integration of our HR information with our IT systems.
Having this properly set up enables organisations to have an end-to-end workforce identity lifecycle that is more automated, efficient and streamlined compared to past manual processes.
Whenever a new staff member is hired in an enterprise organisation, they typically need to:
- Create new employee user accounts in HCM systems like Workday (onboarding)
- Provision info from Workday into identity management systems like Active Directory (on-premises) and Azure Active Directory (cloud-based) for access and permissions
- Synchronise user info downstream into line-of-business applications and IT systems
- Deprovisioning user access and information upon departure (offboarding)
When an employee needs changes made such as an email change, new business number, title promotion or termination in Workday, these changes need to be reflected in many different sources to ensure consistency in our data, proper permissions and timely access for users.
Unfortunately, this is not a task easily handled manually, especially with the proliferation of cloud-based Software as a Service (SaaS) applications like Office 365 so prevalent today.
Thankfully, with a streamlined integration of HCM systems like Workday with identity management solutions like Azure AD, this complex process can be smoothly automated.
Why you should integrate Workforce and Azure Active Directory
We encounter many enterprises using powerful HCM systems like Workday who don’t have the right identity management solution like Azure AD to streamline their user provisioning and deprovisioning process in the way they need - from a highly manual to an automated task.
Without such an integration set up, it’s harder to synchronise their HR and IT data across the organisation, resulting in unnecessary manual process and potential inconsistencies.
The latest Workday integration with Azure Active Directory enables organisations to handle all of these necessary user account updates within the cloud and in a highly simplified process.
- Essentially, anytime an employee’s profile in Workday changes, Azure Active Directory’s user provisioning service detects these changes in our HCM automatically.
- Azure AD then synchronises each change to all downstream applications and systems across the business.
- Instead of worrying about line-of-business apps carrying outdated information and having to manually update changes, the identity lifecycle management is sorted out end-to-end with a straightforward integration.
Workday and Azure Active Directory integration is simplified thanks to the lightweight Azure AD Connect Provisioning Agent Wizard that extracts and queries user information from Workday and synchronises any and all changes directly to Azure Active Directory (if cloud-first) or an on-premises Active Directory (if hybrid).
HR benefits for integrating Workforce with Azure Active Directory
- Enterprises using Azure for cloud-based applications and infrastructure are already well positioned for fast integration with their Workday HCM system, as the pre-built connector via the Azure Active Directory user provisioning service integrates with the Workday Human Resources API via a helpful guided agent wizard.
- When new staff members are added to Workday, you no longer have to worry about ensuring their user account is updated in Active Directory, Azure Active Directory or your line of business applications manually. It’s all automatically created and synced.
- All updates made to an employee’s user account (attributes and data changes) such as role change, email change, permissions change is automatically updated across on-premises AD, Azure AD, and all your apps supported by Azure AD.
- Deprovisioning users via your offboarding process no longer has to be a manual thing, nor will you need to worry about users retaining acess after they depart the company - in Workday, their user account is automatically disabled in Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, and all your apps with a proper integration with Azure AD.
- Old Workday user accounts can be seamlessly activated or reprovisioned if you have staff return to your company, saving you time, effort and money.
Integrating Workforce with Azure Active Directory: Next steps
As simplified as the integration process is, it’s understandable many enterprises might not have the technical know-how on where to begin - which is where consultancies like Xello can help.
For a free assessment into how integrating your Workforce HR systems with Azure Active Directory can improve your workforce identity lifecycle and automate your entire provisioning processes, click here to talk to one of our team members and get started.